The unit has access to a veteran upgrade, who can then add a couple Drones to the squad, and/or take a Markerlight . The unit can be "bonded" and they can be outfitted with EMP (haywire) grenades and can take the Devilfish as a dedicated transport.
The unit does not have very much flexibility in equipment options, but that keeps them focused.
Combos, Synergies, and Lists
- Devilfish- Taking a Devilfish as a dedicated transport for this unit (in 7th ed) gives us a durable, slippery, quick vehicle that can steal or contest objectives from enemy units. It also is a necessary component in the deadly "Fish of Fury" attack.
- Tau Infantry HQ's- All of the different Ethereals are custom-made to hang with your Firewarriors and make them better in every way. Cadre Fireblades make your backfield objective holder into a long range threat, especially against horde armies. The infantry HQ's are dirt cheap too.
Darkstrider presents some fun options as well, making the unit deadlier and giving them a good deal of deployment flexibility.
- Broadside Battlesuits- The other essential unit to a Tau central firebase. They can handle all the things that your Fire Warriors can't crack, and the Fire Warriors can use their numbers and defensive grenades to screen the Broadsides from assault. The Broadsides' twin-linked weapons can be a great addition to your Overwatch as well.
- Markerlight Support Units- Obviously, everything is better with Markerlights, but Fire Warriors have no other way to improve their middling Ballistic Skill of 3. This is a good thing, because if they were BS4 base, there would be no end to the complaining from other players and they would cost more than a Space Marine! Their weapon is great, but when you have a BS4 or BS5 Fire Warrior pulling the trigger, it is phenomenal .
Usually the answer to these formations is either Deep Striking a unit behind the Aegis or Barrage artillery weapons. Both can be deadly to massed Firewarriors caught in the open so deployment can change if you know your opponent has some.
The unit is fairly expensive, but can turn into a real pain for your opponent as their Blind, Pinning, and EMP attacks start to add up over a couple turns.
Fish of Fury
- The Pulse Rifle or Carbine is S5, allowing them to hurt anything short of AV12 or Toughness 9
- Their armour is 4+ allowing them decent armour saves against the oh-so-common AP5 weapons (including our own!) and a higher level of mobility, as they can venture away from cover.
- They are cheap enough to field in large quantities, but expensive enough that every trooper can matter.
- Their Ballistic Skill is average, but they have lots of synergistic units that help them get more shots off AND increase accuracy.
- Their greatest weakness is in actual close combat, but anything that gets into combat with Fire Warriors is hardly going to care whether they are WS2 or 3. Plus, no matter how skilled the opponent, the best they can hit on is a 3+ while the worst you can hit on is a 5+. The Photon Grenades and Overwatch fire can knock the wind out of an enemy assault and end with a surprising victory for the Fire Warriors.
Comment with your thoughts on Fire Warriors!