While accompanying this FW squad, and granting it Volley Fire, he is free to do other things.
- He can contribute his own BS5 firepower to the group's
- He can Split Fire and shoot his Markerlight (or Rifle) at another target. This works for emplacement weapons as well
- He can Split Fire and have someone in the squad throw a Photon Grenade at some other target (Imperial Knight maybe?)
Since Drones don't often mesh well with Firewarriors, the Fireblade won't be bringing them. Some players subscribe to the Markerlight Cascade method which would normally require spreading Marker Drones throughout your infantry squads, but this squad should really be the last one to fire, so it won't be needing those drones.
TacticsA simple support HQ like this makes for straightforward uses. Place him in a Firewarrior Squad to increase their damage potential. There are a few things to note about maximizing his use though:
- The more Firewarriors in the squad, the better. Bring 12 if you can
- Use Pulse Rifles. His ability requires the squad to stay put, so you'll need the range if you want to hit stuff before it is too late. A full salvo of 26 shots at 30" is a great alpha strike tool against enemy infantry.
- Don't forget Split Fire. He can fire his BS5 Marker Light at a different target. Perfect for marking a tank or heavy infantry when you don't want to shoot Pulse Rifles at them
- Plant him on an objective, in cover, somewhere safe. He cannot move if you want that extra shot, so if he is already on a defensible objective, then he has no reason to move anyways
- Don't be afraid to move. Objectives can be fleeting and sometimes it's better to keep your distance and live, then to fire an extra shot and be dead the next turn in assault. 3 shots each at 15" though...
- His ability does not work during Overwatch, so don't count on it.
Synergies, Lists, & Combos
- Aegis Defense Line with QuadCannon
- Cadre Fireblade (mans QuadCannon)
- 12 Firewarriors
- 3 Broadsides
When compared to the budget HQ's of other codices, he stands above the rest as a powerful support character that brings an excellent ability to the table. This ability is useful no matter what size of game you are playing.
Thanks for reading! Post your greatest Cadre Fireblade moments below!