A little earlier this month I posted up the 1500 point army list that I'd be taking to a local tournament. Those that checked it out might be interested in seeing how it performed. Instead of separate batreps, I'll put up a summary of each game in this post, to give you an idea of what worked and what didn't.
When I wrote the list, we estimated between 6-8 players would come; mostly regulars that I'd played before. However, in the last week before the tournament, We had an explosion of interest from a nearby university, bringing our total to 15 players!! I had left the format pretty much wide open, only disallowing Forgeworld, so this made for some cheesy lists among the more competitive players. Even so, everyone had tons of fun and it was a smashing success for our first tournament. We even got some card players interested in playing.
Note: Transcendent C'tan is OP and shouldn't be in Escalation.
Game 1-Grey Knights: Emperor's Will
|Bottom of Turn 2|
- Librarian (Invisibility), Paladins, Termy Squad, Interceptor Squad, Storm Raven, 2x Dread Knights, Aegis+comms
Game 2-White Scars-The Scouring
|Just starting his first movement|
- Khan+6 bikes+attack bike, 7 bikes+attack bike, 7 bikes+attack bike, Thunderfire Cannon, Storm Talon, Imperial Knight Errant
|Halfway through my second turn|
|Can't touch this! He eventually gave up and sent the Imperial Knight in to kill him|
Game 3-Tyranids-Purge the Alien
|End of my first turn, most of the Genestealers are now gone|
- Swarmlord, 2x10 Devilgaunts, 2x10 Genestealers, Brood lord, Carnifex, 3x Warriors, 2x Zoanthropes
This game went pretty much as expected. I eliminated his entire army and only lost my Plasma suits in return. They got too close to some Termagaunts and got wasted by volume of fire. To be fair, he was under the impression Devourers are S5, so that might have had something to do with it.
I won 12 VP's to 1. This pushed me up to 9th overall for the tournament.
- The Sniper Drone team was handy for a couple guaranteed marker hits, and helped my Plasma team cut down a Dreadknight while the marker drones were occupied in combat with the other. It also attracted more attention than I thought it would, so it doubled as a fire magnet against opponents unfamiliar with it. I'll take this unit over pathfinders any day.
- My Warlord was underwhelming because he kept getting killed by S8 weaponry. I think that he actually never got to roll a regular armour save, and only failed 2 invulnerable saves all day (each one insta-killing him). Had I played him more defensively he would have done better I think. The Fusion Blades were nice to have around, killing a Dreadknight with lots of S8 AP1 hits, though it only worked because my Support'O was able to accept the Dreadknight's challenge.
- The Support'O or Buffmander really didn't help me out that much. The only time I faced a vehicle was the Imperial Knight, and it got into combat with a lucky charge before I had a chance to shoot it. Had I faced just about any other army present, he may have been a better performer.
- The Riptide performed admirably. It killed some stuff, but it was really just there to tie stuff up and buy me time. I forgot to Nova charge a couple times, but they weren't critical times.
- Kroot, Stealths, Broadsides, XV8's all performed as expected.
Thanks for reading!