And of course, I have a wish list.
Here are a few of my ideas to improve what we have going on in the Tau Empire. I am not naïve, I know very little if any of this will ever come to pass, but I would welcome any of it in the upcoming Tau codex.
Let's keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.
(1) Add an alien HQ or two. Something like Nicassar Psycher, and their powers do not necessarily need to be offensive or malicious. They can act as buffs or unlock units etc…
(2) Expand Ethereal capabilities. Bigger bubbles to fix morale and leadership is in line with the fluff, and there could be a small expansion of the buffs to firewarriors.
(3) Add an Ethereal Command Vehicle. Army-wide buffs, hurts all if busted (yeeah, that old rule)
(4) Give commanders “call down fire” seeker missiles
(5) XV-805 Enforcer model needs a different pose, maybe a more generic model.
(6) Give us O’Kais. See my comments on battle disciplines below.
(7) Add Water Caste diplomat for debuffing in psychic phase.
(8) Add a Kroot Shaman as a low level psycher
(There's more below, click the article title to read on)
(1) Make XV-25 Stealth Suits total assholes. Bump their shroud/stealth to 2+ and give the whole team fusion blasters and networked marker lights.
(2) Crisis suit resculpt. This one is just … tired.
(3) Make XV-15 Stealth suits troops, with current rules.
(4) Give us a Kroot or Vespid monster. Pleeeeeeeease…. Something cool and nasty.
(1) Restore the Kroot to Close-in specialists as an option. Not OP, but not simply snipers either. Choose if the unit is going to be snipers or kroot-loops. Either that, or make Vespids cc monsters.
(2) Another troop choice, heavier, harder to fry, but maybe slightly weaker weapons (S4 at 24”).
(3) Move fireside marksmen to troops. Let a unit take up to 3 marksmen and up to any 12 drones (gun, sniper, marker, shield, anti-grav, or pulse accelerator. Then he can exchange two drones for a heavy gun drone, recon drone, missile, or warscaper drone. Or just price the larger drones appropriately.
(4) Make Pathfinders troops. I don’t really need to expand that one do I? To use them effectively one has to lock down all the fast attack options. Comes out as a wash in the end.
(1) Unlock the vespids. They are the bastard stepchildren right now, unusable. Make Vespids cc monsters or unparalleled hit and run beasts. Too brittle.
(2) Add a Vespid dropship. Could be organic, but drops some sort of troops along the way. Maybe even spawns new vespids as it zips across the field, or angry little maggots like necron scarabs or tyranid rippers.
(1) Give the hammerhead a Strength D munition.
(2) Give the Skyray 8 or even unlimited seeker missiles
(3) Return Seekers to unlimited range.
(4) Add a Demiurg Grav-Tank that uses Ionic or gravimetric weapons.
(5) Please return the Greater Knarlocks and Knarloc riders to Forgeworld. And that includes the baggage beast too. I really want one.
(1) Earth Caste Bastion
(2) Earth Caste Barricades
(3) Earth Caste Shield Emplacements
(4) Earth Caste Gun Emplacements
(5) Water Caste Communications Relay
(6) Air Caste Landing Pad
(7) Air Caste Control Tower (buffs Tau-Air)
(1) Bring back the Kroot Mercenary Army. That was fun. Not always effective, died horribly, but fun.
(2) Stealth Incursion Force – 20 stealth suits deepstrike without scattering and raise hell in the backfield.
(3) All the old ones…
Tau have three battle disciplines, Mont’ka (embodied by Farsight), Kauyon (embodied by Shadowsun), and Monat (embodied by O’Kais). Changing capabilities and tactical rule sets based on these disciplines or tactical doctrines and commanders would create a lot of potentially different game opportunities. Every Tau army would be different. Shadowsun could unlock stealth suits as troops, Farsight could still do the same for crisis suits.
So what do you think? Post comments on anything I’ve missed.
(EDIT) From Travis Olexa on Faeit 212
Things Tau need to be more fun:
--Another alien auxiliary.
Seriously disappointed that they didn't get another one in 6th. Their lore is full of potential.
Seriously Tau have only ever had 2 items in this part of their roster and it's pretty damn stale. Maybe something like the old stealth suit models with special weapons.
--Crisis suit models redone/newer suits of similar size
The old ones still look okay, but the sprues are terrible, and the ankles snap on a whim. Maybe a new type of suit of similar size (or slightly larger) would be nice.
Sure, why not everyone else is doing it. Tau have two distinct styles of fighting that are constantly thrown around in their lore, so why not use them? Change model stats/function based on which of the two you roll with. This would create a lot of variance with existing models.
--Less top heavy choices
By top heavy I mean fewer models with higher cost. While the riptide is nice and all, I would rather not throw all my eggs in one basket. It's similar to how the AdMec are right now, too few models taking up all their points. So your game can't end if you have just one bad round of saving throws as a riptide or two go down. Then again, I always loved infantry more...biased.
--Just more models/roster additions
Tau are rocking one of the smallest rosters nearly equivalent to SoB (which haven't seen new models in 3 Tau editions). I was rather disappointed with 6th since it gave us just 2 new models (A riptide that is practically required, and an aircraft that no one uses). And yes, I really don't see single unit clampacks as much of an addition, but we got a couple of those too.