Last week we got to see the new Stormsurge, but this week we get to see the suit I am much more interested in! The Stealth Riptide!
Source of rules: CLICKY
- Toughness is 5 instead of 6
- 4 Wounds instead of 5
- 3+ Armour instead of 2+
- No in-built invulnerable save
The Ghostkeel automatically comes with these two drones and they are included in the 130 point cost.
The Ghostkeel comes with the built-in multitracker and blacksun filter, which means those are still wargear and are likly included in most "battlesuits" though so far they have not been included on the one "ballistic suit" we have seen so far.
On top of that, has a piece of kit that doubles the effect of Stealth or Shrouded against attacks originating outside of 12". Coupled with the MV5 drones and its own Stealth rule, it will have a 3+ cover save in the open! That is even better than the regular Stealth Suits, but perhaps the Stealth Drone will be available to them and they will have a similar setup. Once the Drones are gone, this wargear will essentially only give a 5+ cover save in the open.
Finally, it has a one-use super power that forces a single enemy unit, that is targeting the Ghostkeel unit, to only fire snap shots that turn. This is a per-suit power so a full unit could use it 3 times in a game. It won't make your Ghostkeels invincible to the enemy, but it Can disrupt what targets your opponent chooses and spare your Ghostkeels the shooting of his most powerful units.
- Cyclic Ion Raker: 24", S7, AP4, Assault 6 OR Overcharge for S8, AP4, Heavy 1, Large Blast, Gets Hot. Spamming S7 AP4 isn't all that new, but it certainly isn't useless. Comparing to a unit of Crisis Deathrain-D it is underwhelming, but the Ghostkeel is much harder to kill. With some markerlights it could put some decent damage on a light-to-medium vehicle.
- Fusion Collider: 18", S8, AP1, Assault 1, Blast, Melta. Essentially, this is a fusion blaster with a blast profile. As a secondary weapon it would be ok, but since it is an exchange for the CIR it isn't very good. .
- Twin-Linked Flamer: a bit of a lame secondary weapon, but it can be upgraded to a TL Burst Cannon or a TL Fusion Blaster (5 and 10 points respectively)
The first reaction is: "2+ cover in the open? Cheese. Also forces snapshots once per game on one unit that targets it? WTF! So OP!" *rage quit, table flip, etc etc* However, keep a few things in mind:
- The drones don't have the cover doubling equipment and are the key ingredient to the 2+ save. If you can kill those, you'll have an easier time of it. Drop Pods, Deep Strikers, fast movers, etc. will have a decent chance of targeting the drones before the Ghostkeel.
- It is also only T5 4W 3+ armour. Once you get within 12," it is not that hard to kill with shooting.
- Similar to the Y'vahra, the Ghostkeel has to be pretty close to use its weapons (right around 18"). 18" is a pretty sweet spot when coupled with the JSJ, but it is no guarantee.
- No Nova reactor. This is why it doesn't have powerful weapons. The Riptide is only able to have its powerful primary weapon and nice invulnerable saves due to the miniaturized Nova reactor. The Ghostkeel has no "overboost" capability to push it to the limits like the Riptide and its variants does.
It's also worth pointing out that you can field 3 of these (plus their 6 drones) for less than your typical Stormsurge. Not bad at all...